Average rating by users:
Author of Resource: Sis. Faiza
Institute: Safar Academy
Resource Type: Lesson Related Activity
Subject: Islamic Studies – Textbook 3, Textbook 4, Textbook 5, Textbook 6 – General Textbook 3 – Week 30 – Fasting and Ramadhan – General Textbook 5 – General Textbook 6
When should I use the activity in my Islamic Studies Class? Main Activity in class
Time Resource will take: 50 minutes (25 minutes creating and decorating boxes. 25 minutes class discussion and writing 30 deeds on slips of paper). Younger year groups – teacher can prepare boxes beforehand and get students to decorate them.
What equipment or Preparation do I need for the activity?
Class of 15:
– 30 sheets of coloured card for the boxes (2 sheets per student)
– 15 sheets of paper (cut into 30 slips per student)
– Colours, stickers, gems etc (to decorate boxes)
Describe the Resource:
This is an activity to encourage students to practice all good actions that are taught throughout the year and reflect on their deeds during the month of Ramadan. It is a great way for them to do good deeds and keep a record of different types of good deeds that they attempt.
1) Make boxes and decorate them:
– Create two Origami boxes. One slightly smaller than the other so they can fit together. You can find instructions for making origami boxes online: http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box.html
One part will be the base and the other part the cover. This box will be used to store the ‘good deed’ slips.
-Students can personalise and decorate them.
2) Discussion on good actions:
-Have a class discussion on the different deeds that can be carried out during Ramadan. Emphasise the virtues/rewards. Note down all suggestions on the board.
– Students can write down 30 deeds on slips of paper to put into their boxes. Or, alternatively, you may provide pre-written ones.
– You may also add short Ayahs/Hadiths as a reflection for the day.
– Put all of these in the Origami box.
3) Using the reminders and box at home:
– Students should read and attempt one reminder from contained in the box, every day during Ramadan.
– Students’ progress can be tracked by use of a checklist (containing all the deeds that are contained on the slips).